Saturday, December 15, 2012

Useful Sites for Artists

I don't normally do this on my own blog, but I figured this stuff is too good to not share. Also for my own reference. Enjoy!

Online Resources -

Facity - an online collection of faces.

Photo Matters - amazing interactive resource on lighting, lenses, and other photography subjects.

Color Scheme Designer - Fine tune your color palette with mono, complementary, triad, tetrad, analogic, and accented analogic color schemes. Very useful.

CG Textures - library of images perfect for your textures and brushes.

Pixelovely - free at home life drawing tools featuring humans and animals.

Online Education -

Gnomon Workshop - yep.

Phoenix Atelier - online workshops, founded by Cesar Dacol Jr.

Eat 3d - tons of great videos to learn from, some of them even free.

Digital Tutors - huge collection of workshops.

Google - it's aight.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kurt, I'm a huge fan of your work and am interested in taking your class online. I saw in your syllabus that you go into using 3ds max and marmoset in the later weeks to finish off the character. I'm just a concept artist though and only know how to use zbrush(it's also the only 3d program I know how to use). I wanted to take your class to improve in using zbrush for concepting purposes. Do you think I could still get a lot out of that class? Maybe I can tailor the program a little bit to get the most out of it for what I would need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Randy!

      Thanks for the kind words. I would say as a concept artist, it is important to expand your horizons. Concept artists can tend to have a short life span on a project and it never hurts to stay versatile.

      I would also say, that you never know what kind of new techniques and tools you will pick up to add to your arsenal. Something might add or change the way you design, or render the final piece.

      It might be helpful to know that there won't be a lot to bite into in the way of design work for this program. Design is another can of worms. In this program everyone will follow along with a predetermined design to better understand the process of creating a functional game character. If you are comfortable in ZBrush and wish to learn more 3d, than this would be a program to consider. I will also be going over Photoshop tricks in relation to texturing, which may also be valuable to your concept work.

      Hope this helps you,

      - Kurt

      Delete
    2. Hi Kurt,

      You make some really great points on picking up new techniques and learning new tools. I just can't afford the extra cash to get the other programs at the moment. I also looked up Marmoset and saw that it wasn't available for Macs, which is going to make it impossible for me to use, since I don't have a PC at home. I did see that there was a 90 day 3ds max license that's $200, so I might try that later on. I definitely want to take this class with you, but I may have to wait until the next term and save some cash up. I'm looking forward to it though and hope you keep teaching, so I can eventually learn some stuff from you!

      Thanks,
      Randy

      Delete